Pork production is an emerging sector in East Africa, mainly by small holder farmers raising pigs as a household income activity in peri-urban and rural areas. This document is a set of practical guidelines aimed at helping the farmer plan and manage their investment in pig farming.
- Consumption of pork products is growing across East Africa and globally
- Pigs multiply fast as their fertility rates are high
- Pigs are highly adaptable and relatively easy to farm
- Pig waste provides a cheap source of manure
- Pigs feed on a wide variety of food
- Pork is an economical source of animal protein and is a source of vitamins B1, B2 & B3, selenium, zinc and phosphorous
Agripreneurship Alliance PIG Farming Guide.pdf